A two-ton barrel of Detroit’s finest buttercream, this 1949 Packard Eight Station Sedan Series 2201 is a beautifully preserved, meticulously detailed, faithful example benefitting from a full mechanical and cosmetic restoration top to bottom, inside and out. Originally a West Coast car, fully sorted, strong and solid, this is Packard’s Double-Duty Beauty: the first, last and only true Packard station wagon, fully dressed and handsome. This exclusive, bobbed boat tail beauty is one of 3800 examples hand-built in a very limited run before the model was discontinued by the end of 1950, with few surviving almost 70 years of inevitable wear, neglect and Mother Nature’s decay.
Packard renumbered Station Sedans up to three times before selling these models due to weak demand.
All body panels were removed and completely disassembled for blasting, sanding, prime and paint, with new metal replacement only in a front floor section. All chrome and stainless (except for dash components) were removed and either re-chromed or polished by the best shop in Los Angeles, Van Nuys Plating. All rubber seals around glass, windows, doors and vents were replaced using Steele Rubber products.
A complete, new and correct interior was installed by a talented upholstery shop, Armand’s Auto Upholstery, in Walnut Creek, Calif., and the seat fabric, door panels, kick panels, windlace, headliner, and rubber flooring were all replaced using correct materials. Underneath, the frame and body panels are as exceptionally straight and clean as the topside.
This beauty is powered by a Packard 8-cylinder 327 ci engine rebuilt by Ross Miller of Speedwell Garage. Every component under the hood has been rebuilt or replaced with NOS or NAPA to give this car a complete, new start on a second life with renewed cooling, vacuum, heating, electrical and fuel systems.
The automobile is caretaken by The Gale Collection, Princeton Junction, NJ, a private collection dedicated to “Preserving America’s Moving History”.